Want to learn what’s trending in new home building designs in 2016? We hope these 7 ideas will help inspire you during your new home buying journey!
- Two-Tone Kitchen Cabinets. Mixing various color tones throughout the kitchen is still in, but with combinations like painted white (or other tones) sections of cabinets along with darker stained sections. We’re seeing a lot of perimeter cabinets in one color and island or butler’s pantry in a different color.
- Social Kitchens. The trending “social kitchen” design focuses on creating a central spot in the home that is used for both cooking and entertaining purposes. Open space into the family room, large islands for a prep station and seating, as well as butler pantries to utilize when entertaining are all very popular.
- Soft, Muted Color Palettes. Charcoal, gray and even neutral pastels like pale blue, pale green-gray and tinted whites are being used throughout our homes.
- Metal Dominates. One of the latest trends is metallic finishes, including copper, brass and bronze. While primarily used in small doses, kitchens now use metal as an aesthetic choice for faucets, pendant lights, cabinet pulls and even replacing the wood range hood with metal.
- Heated Floors. In this region heated floors are frequently being added in master bathrooms.
- Statement Mirrors. To add character to a bathroom, statement mirrors are replacing standard plate-glass mirrors. Large wood-framed mirrors, ornate vintage styles or modern backlit designs are creating a unique look.
- Well-Lit Cabinetry. Extensive cabinet lighting is a trend to watch with low-voltage light strips to accent pieces below upper cabinets for a bright work area, in the toe space at the bottom of cabinets creating a “floating vanity”, above cabinets, inside cabinets and below countertop overhangs. The new style also provides better mood-setting options.